The Shoemakersville Area Lions Club was chartered on August 9th, 1975 at Zuber's in Leesport and was sponsored by the Virginville Lions Club. Two members from the Virginville Lions Club (Franklin Clark and Mark Epting) became founding members of the Shoemakersville Area Lions Club.
George Bracy was the first paid charter member of the Shoemakersville Area Lions Club. In the beginning, the charter members of the Shoemakersville Area Lions Club met in the Union House on Main Street in Shoemakersville and were installed by Gerald DeTurk of the Fleetwood Lions Club.
Charter members who are still active members of the Shoey Lions are Irwin Levan and Gary Rothermel.
Founded in 1917 in Chicago, Lions Clubs International is the world's largest service club organization, with 1.35 million members. More than 206 countries are represented.
Some of our main focus areas are: Vision, Diabetes, Childhood Cancer, Disaster Relief, Humanitarian Aid and Hunger.